Saturday, August 24, 2013

Why I Suggest Going to Anime Cons

(I originally wrote this on another online forum)

In my experience I love cons. Most of my really good friends go to the ends of the earth to hide their powerlevel in fear of being social outcasts, (at college no less, where truly no one give a shit what your into) so for the most part I’ve had to go to cons with people I don’t consider my best friends. One anon wrote only go with a group of good friends, and I couldn’t echo that advice any more…the time I went with a pretty good friend I had a blast, and when I went with a kid I didn’t know as well (just because I really wanted to go) I had a pretty awful time.

While I have to agree that homestuckers (it’s a webcomic for people who don't know) seem to be really annoying and feel cancerous at first, in my experience most of them are also huge anime fans (and are really nice), and don’t go to cons just to meet up with other homestuck people….but seriously, screw bronies.

More importantly for me, I have met some pretty cool people at cons. In particular I met this one girl and her friend after a panel on nerd courting (those of you that go to fanime or anime expo have probably heard of it) and they're now both my good con & and real life friends.

Don’t go to cons in the hope of getting a one night stand. Besides the fact that going with such a goal will probably ensure you'll have an awful time (and likely means you're an awful human being), anons that make it seem like the easiest thing in the world are either lying or are massive players with great social skills (which do you think is more likely?)

The first time you see a dealer’s hall youll probably shit yourself (as I did) at all the stuff there is to buy. Everything is always a bit pricey but I don’t usually spend more than about ~200 dollars and I’ve gotten some really cool stuff.

In all, if you’ve never been to a con, I am huge advocate for them. I’ve had tons of fun and just the fact that you can strike up a conversation with practically anyone, since you know they’ll be into the exact same shit, is pretty cool. They literally have everything (games, panels, etc) and its about the closest thing to a Chuck E Cheese an anime fan can get…there’s so much stuff do to that your bound to have a good time. If your concerned about it being a bunch of fat, annoying weabs, you will definitely get that, but trust me, it's all worth it. And who knows, maybe you’ll find your next favorite hobby, series, friend or even girlfriend.

Plus cosplaying is really fun....just ask Jessica Nigri ;)


(I feel like her cosplays shouldn't even count, since it always looks like she forgot to make half the costume)

No comments:

Post a Comment